Your challenge, if you choose to accept it, is try out one of these twenty challenges. I promise that it will help your writing. You can even go back and try some other challenges because it won't self-destruct.
1. Read a biography of your favorite author.
2. Book a trip to somewhere new.
3. Edit a story of yours that is at least a year old.
4. Find a writing buddy. (There might be one in the writers' den.)
5. Beta-read a book for a friend.
6. Write a sonnet.
7. Take photographs of graffiti throughout your city.
8. Ask a grandparent or a child to tell you a story.
9. Write a short story without using any adverbs or adjectives.
10. Analyze the story structure of your favorite film.
11. Buy a book on writing.
12. Ask your librarian to recommend his or her favorite book.
13. Wonder about the objects in a lost and found.
14. Wait in line without looking at your phone.
15. Read some profiles on a dating app or look at ads in your local paper.
16. Write a story about an obscure holiday.
17. Look up at the clouds and see what shapes you find.
18. Watch people in a hotel lobby.
19. Listen to a new album.
20. Read a book in a genre that you normally hate and try to find something you like.
Did you try a challenge? How did it go? Tell me in the comments below.