As we know, NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) is fast approaching, and you want to be ready. I have compiled a list of thirteen things you need to have on hand to make your November a success.
1. Coffee. Lots of coffee.
2. A writing community for support and vent sessions.
3. A general outline (bonus points for a chapter-by-chapter outline).
4. Well-developed characters (this can be done by character templates/interview questions).
5. A sense of your world (bonus points for maps).
6. Basic research done (i.e. If your main character is a firefighter, interview a firefighter about her job).
7. Your writing times scheduled in your calendar.
8. A nice writing workspace.
9. Writing software of some kind (Scrivener, Word, etc.) or a notebook and pen.
10. A list of writing milestones and rewards attached to them.
11. Accountability in some form (i.e. announcing it on social media, telling a friend, etc.).
12. A letter to send your loved ones that you will be MIA for a while.